Friday 6 July 2012

Old Linen and Peonies, a rural Garden and a bit more....


...of my visit to South-Germany in June,
a long overdue 'short' report!



*****
***
*



*

 

*


*


*

My brother's old country garden....


...where Peonies, Rosemary, Lavender,
a nearly collapsed wall from one of the 18th barns.....

..."Storchenschnabel"  -  Geraniaceae ...



*

...Lupines...


...Digitalis  - "Fingerhut"....




....and "others"....

all living together in perfect harmony....


***

Peonies on every corner....

in pink



in white


so many different varieties....


...all in ONE garden!




*



 *


 *



*



***

Old linen and hemp - Finds....


this is the most beautiful and very rare roll of home spun and woven  farmer's linen,
nearly 10 meter long and about 150-180 years old.
I was so lucky to have found it and more than happy!



*

1800's home loomed farmer's linen

*

1880's kitchen towels with lovely monograms


*

a beautiful antique grain sack in linen/hemp, 
printed on both sides
dated 1886

A. M.  Langenau - Baden-Wûrttemberg, South-Germany

A. Miller


This lovely sack is for sale!
For further info please contact me   here

update 07.07.12:  Sold - Thank You!



***

 19th century farmer's linen

 

and...

'Kelsch', around 1900,

a pair of duvet covers from the Black Forest.

*****
***
*

 A 'stippvisite' to the Black Forest:

Unfortunately on the day I went there 
I noticed that the battery of my camera was completely flat!
So, what follows are not my own pictures.


*


*


*




*

source, photographer's credit and some interesting comments about the Black Forest
here

Der Schwarzwald - The Black Forest - Myths and Legends:
here

****

Back to my brother's place:





*


*



 *


*



Old fashion country roses...



...spread out allover the place...


*


*


*



*



*



*



*


corn...


...the natural food....


....for happy hens...


...and a proud rooster!

***


part of the vegetable garden....


***



while some of the earliest flowering peonies....



*


...fading away nicely....




*


...there are new buds on other shrubs.

***

And just before I left... 


...the first red currents.

***




It was a very good time!

****
With this post, 
I like to welcome all my new readers and followers over the last weeks and month!
Please be assured that I acknowledge each one of you and I'm aware
that it is high time that I get round to completely reading all your interesting posts.

I also like to thank you all, my blogger friends as well as new readers,
for your loyalty and always lovely and friendly comments.
And am trying hard to "visit" you all......A.S.A.P
  
*****
For any inquiry and/or information about antique linen and hemp 
please contact me  here

18 comments:

  1. Well you took my breath away, peonies and linen, a double whammy of things I love.
    What will you do with that massive roll of linen.
    I love fabric and I have been collecting for years but it takes me so long to get the courage to cut it up.
    I had 2 French chairs covered in the most beautiful old French fabric.
    It took a long time to convince the upholsterer to work with fabric that had been repaired and to not try to hide the ware ant tear!
    Another beautiful post.
    Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Karen

    Your brother's home is just beautiful. Gardening must run in your family. The bolt of linen is a find. Thanks for an uplifting post

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes this my kind of post Karen. Gorgeous photography.

    Love the peonies against the linen, very romantic.

    The Black Forest looks like a wonderful day out, paired with chickens (Which i adore!) and beautiful gardens who could ask for from a day trip?

    Paul XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, speechless.....BEAUTIFUL!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karin I love seeing your garden but your brothers takes my breath away, it's so lush and full. That first farmers linen is much more rare then you think those long ends are from being tied down to the loom hard to find the end remnants. I have a roll just like that and treasure it. So many wonderful finds lucky you! You really need to open a shop online. I hope you, Mr. B and Oskar are doing well.

    XXX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Votre publication m'a remplie de bonheur... Toutes ces merveilleuses fleurs, dont en particulier les pivoines qui sont mes fleurs préférées car enfant je vivais chez mes grand-parents et ma grand-mère avait un don exceptionnel pour fleurir la maison avec les pivoines du jardin de mon grand-père. Un si bon souvenir... avec le parfum subtil qui flottait et très significatif du printemps...
    Vos photos sont extraordinaires vous avez un grand talent...
    et Humm! les groseilles... j'en ai l'eau à la bouche.

    Gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. So many of my favourite flowers, roses and peonies. Your brother has a lovely home. And those chickens!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The MOST beautiful post, Karin! Merci, et merci por the nod to America.
    This post is most poignant to me as there are my grandmother's initials and a sack from Wurttemberg, the home of my grandfather's family and the gardens...magical...lit with the most exquisite peonies, the favorite of all the women in my family.
    xoxo, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely wonderful. The flowers and backgrounds complement each other. Just gorgeous! xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous, Karin! My goodness, very inspiring on this gray Sunday morning.
    Bisous to you and a scratchie to Oskar please!
    H.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karin, your brother's garden is absolutely beautiful and your assortment of linen is magnificent. What wonderful and fine bolts and pieces. The beauty of this post takes my breath away. I hope you are enjoying a lovely summer and I'm quite certain Oskar is enjoying stretching about in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post, Karin - you must love visiting your brother. And the photos in the link re the Schwarzwald - breathtaking!
    I feel so privileged to have seen your linens at first hand!
    And this post also reminds me that I forgot to say in my email to you that the cuttings from your garden at La Pouyette made it safely all the way back to London (giving a wonderful scent to our hotel room in Paris overnight!!). Hopefully they will now make the transition to my garden here and I can have my own little piece of the Périgord!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post- full of wonderful finds and incredibly beautiful photographs. So glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your brother's garden looks like the Garden of Eden, or Paradise.
    It almost reconciles me to peonies! The photos are really breathtaking, Karin, they rejoice the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow what a beautiful post...lifts my spirits just to look at all those lovely photos !! Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Karin - It has been so long since I have spent any time on other's blogs or even mine! This post was absolutely gorgeous and one I will go back over several times to enjoy the gorgeous flowers. I always enjoy looking at what you "see"!
    Blessings!!

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  17. An absolutely beautiful post dedicated to one of my very favorite flowers. My peonies did not produce as well this year (maybe due to the extreme heat we have had here) so I enjoyed YOUR garden very much. Also the photos from your trip were delightful! Thanks, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful post karin, i specially love the peonies, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete