Sunday 17 July 2011

Summer Sunday Morning....



 When on a summer's morn I wake,
And open my two eyes,
out to the clear, born-singing rills
My bird-like spirit flies.

To hear the Blackbird, Cuckoo, Thrush,
Or any bird in song;
And common leaves that hum all day
Without a throat or tongue.

by William Henry Davies (1871-1940)

 Sunday morning - deep blue sky, fresh air....

...and my favorite summer flowers...

Hollyhocks

 planted by Monsieur Renard, our French neighbour,

at the border of his field next to us, alongside the little road.....


....just to please me, knowing that I love them!

A simple countryside pleasure.

*


*


*


*


*


*


And when Time strikes the hour for sleep,
Back in my room alone,
My heart has many a sweet bird's song --
And one that's all my own.


Have a great Summer Sunday!

*

Update:
William Henry Davies or W.H.Davies (3 July 1871 - 26 September 1940)
was a Welsh poet and writer.
Davies spent a significant part of his life as a tramp or vagabond 
in the United States and United Kingdom,
but became known as one of the most popular poets of his time.
The principal themes in his work are the marvels of nature,
observations about life's hardships,
his own tramping adventures and the various characters he met.

Davies in 1913, photographed by Alvin Langdon Coburn

11 comments:

  1. I love the *Stockrosen* !

    Diese Farbenvielfalt!


    (Gestern hatten wir herrliches Sommerwetter. Today it's raining cats and dogs!)

    Liebe Grüße!
    Franka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin, it looks as if the hollyhocks are standing sentry to keep you safe. Totally lovely. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hollyhocks and what a sweet neighbor to grow them just because you love them. Have a wonderful day Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hollyhocks are so beautiful! Wishing you a blessed Sunday!
    Angela and Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hollyhocks are such gracious flowers and they bloom beautifully as they were planted with love
    Sunday blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hollyhocks make me think instantly of English country gardens - how lovely to see them in France! I am catching up with posts, having been on the move, and want to say a huge thank you for your previous post on linen draps - so informative and visually stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post and photographs! Thank you so much for coming by and for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karin, Love that first shot of your hollyhocks...it's perfect against that beautiful stone. I love the way hollyhocks wander all over my garden...I never know where they're going to show up next...but they are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two minds, one thought?
    I too adore hollyhocks, and have none, so am especially grateful to you for sharing these gifts from your French neighbor.
    (And the village road, and the old stone church/house ---)
    Wonderful photos, altogether merveilleux!

    ReplyDelete